When you are preparing to have a difficult conversation, it can be pretty daunting. Here are a few questions that you might find helpful to think about when you are trying to influence the conversation.
- What could go wrong in this meeting (e.g., emotions, new facts)?
- What are things you definitely should not say?
- What are things they might say that could get you upset, and how will you stay calm if they do?
- What will you do if things go from bad to worse?
- How will you excuse yourself and reschedule for another time?